Rejuvenate Your Space by Spring Cleaning + Smudging
Before you start, make sure you have your chosen items for smudging. White sage and palo santo “holy” wood are the most common choices and have been used by healers, shamans, and curanderos since ancient times. Be sure to use caution and have a fireproof container for resting your sage or palo santo and for extinguishing the flame. Abalone shell is commonly used for this. Place sand or sea salt at the bottom to extinguish the embers and help prevent damage to the shell. Have a white candle ready to light after cleansing to invite blessings.
- Most importantly, begin by holding the intention to remove any stagnant or negative energy that is not in the highest and best good and to allow healthy, vibrant energy to fill and rejuvenate your space and energy.
- Clean your windows first so that you can open them to let out stagnant energy and let in vibrant energy and fresh air. However, if it’s still a little chilly to you, you can open them after cleaning.
- Now it’s time to clean. First, remove all of the clutter. Have boxes ready for donating, recycling, etc. Make sure to let go of items that are no longer in alignment with your current interests and life visions. Let them go to someone who will find them exciting and useful. This will give new life and also make room to receive!
- Next, organize your belongings in your space, and if you feel called to do so, you can rearrange. Make sure to make your environment a place where you can function with ease and feel inspired. See that everything you have decided to keep still feels in alignment, and put what does not into your donation box. Take a moment of gratitude for all you have been blessed with, for the honor of giving, and the openness to receive blessings.
- Finally, do a deep clean for clarity, lightness, and rejuvenation so fresh air and energy can move freely!
- Now that you are done cleaning, it’s time to cleanse! Grab your smudge tools and open your windows and front door. As you light your sage or palo santo, revisit your intention from the beginning of this process. Gently blow out the flame so it smolders and the smoke continues fill the space. You can choose to say a mantra for cleansing, protection, and blessings if there is one that resonates with you, or simply hold your intention. While doing so, walk around your space (starting from the back) and into all of the rooms, waving your smudging stick in a counterclockwise direction, allowing the smoke to clear the space. You can also use a feather wand to waft the smoke if you like. Be sure to cleanse around doors and windows, and in corners, closets, and other hidden spaces.
- Afterward, light your white candle and bless the space with the energy you intend to call into it. You can be specific for each room or simply ask for healthy vibrant energy, unconditional love, joy, harmony, and abundance to enter your home.
**Optional** If you feel called, you can burn sweetgrass or copal incense for protection and loving energy after your cleansing. You can also place protective, cleansing crystals such as selenite in your home.
Enjoy the rejuvenation, fresh air, and new abundant energy flowing inside your space! Thank your space for being alive and abundant with blessings!
The Added Bonuses of Cleansing + How it Rejuvenates
The beauty of cleansing and the natural rebirth that occurs is that what is released, energetic or material, can experience its own rebirth! There are so many ways to recycle or re-source items. For example, you can give it back to the earth if it is a material that is beneficial (such as for your compost). You can gift or donate clothing and other objects to someone who can give it a new life and innovative, exciting energy. You can even get creative and up-cycle it to a brand new item to re-use, gift, or donate! Reduce, reuse, recycle, rejuvenate, rebirth!
Furthermore, one form of cleansing assists the others, so its benefits are expansive. For example, the cleansing of your body assists in rejuvenation of your mind and spirit. The rejuvenation of your mind and spirit inspires you to take care of your body and space. The cleansing of space assists in clearing the mind and allowing connection to spirit. Think of how refreshed and connected you feel after getting organized and clearing away excess distraction! What a beautiful circle of energetic renewal always available to help you rejuvenate!